Saturday, February 20, 1999

Love’s Awakening

It is a common practice in our communities to use media instruments when praying. It could either be a cassette recorder, a CD, a slide or overhead projector or a video. Meditative music and beautiful visuals are helpful aids to prayer and can help us go deeper in our reflection on the loving goodness of our Creator who made all things good and beautiful.

I have in my possession a video that I have been using for sometime now either for group prayer or individual reflection titled Love’s Awakening. It is a collection of 8 contemporary songs on the theme of love that runs for about 4 to 5 minutes each with accompanying photographs. The work was obviously a product of a deeper reflection and appreciation of the love that is born within us. The opening credits say it all: This film was created by and through love. May its simple message help you to remember the beauty and love that live forever within you.

One of the songs included in that selection was sung by Scottie Haskell. It’s called The Rose. The theme is about love. At the end of the first stanza the line goes: I say love – it is a flower and you – it’s only seed. And towards the end it says: ...far beneath the bitter snows lies the seed that with the Sun’s love becomes the rose.

I like the song very much not only because of its beautiful melody but also of the deeper meaning that lies beneath the words. Yes, indeed we were created out of love, and deep in our hearts lies the capacity to love and to allow that love to bloom with the grace of God.

The month of February is often associated with love and lovers. But I have always wondered why it is only love between lovers that is often given importance during this month. How about the love of parents towards their children? Brothers to sisters? Grandparents? Aunts? Uncles? And friends? These are the people whose little acts of love we experience everyday. Doesn’t their love also deserve to be given attention to even if only a day this month?

I have this experience that happened to me many years ago which I love to share every now and then. I was in a bus on my way to school and in front of me were seated a young lady and a middle-aged woman. I eventually guessed through their actions that they were mother and daughter. At any rate, the daughter went down first. So the mother was left in her seat. However, I noticed that she followed her daughter with a look that could only be defined as love and nothing else. The daughter looked back at her, waved and smiled, then disappeared among the pedestrians. The mother followed her with her eyes until she could not longer see her, then with a sigh settled back in her seat.

That moment left such an impact on me. That was a precious moment wherein I experienced the love of God flowing through the bond that existed between that mother and her daughter.

Yes indeed, love is like a flower, and you and me its only seed. It can only bloom to its fullness if we allow it so.

No comments: