Sunday, January 31, 1999

Media and Prayer

Often times we (this columnist included) go into a merciless media bashing (whether done publicly or not) because of what the media feed us. We cannot ignore the fact that media tend to sensationalize news, are more inclined to glorify what is scandalous and gory and sometimes (or is it most of the time?) distort the truth because that what sells. But this is only one aspect of reality. The other aspect is that there are people who subscribe to this kind of media sensationalism. These are the users, the consumers, you and I.

Media in itself are neither good nor bad. What makes it so is the person who uses it. As one of our sisters would succinctly say: “Media in itself do not evangelize. It is the person who uses the media who evangelizes.” All of us are aware of the fact that media have a tremendous effect on our lives, whether it is economic, political, social psychological, spiritual. This knowledge is supposed to bring us to develop a critical attitude in the use of media in our day to day life. I think I have mentioned this critical attitude in this column so many times already in the past. But it is important to stress this every now and then so as not to forget that as media recipients we have our own share of responsibility to do to improve the situation of media in our country.

I mentioned above that media touch every aspect of our life including the spiritual. There is the tendency among us to become superficial in the use of media. We look for entertainment and oftentimes we just stop there. However, a critical or discerning attitude in the use of media can lead us to the experience of the Divine. Let me share with you this observation of Damian Lundy (The Beginnings of Prayer, The Way, Vol. 23, No. 4) on Sheila Cassidy in 1983:

Sheila Cassidy, headline news after her experience of imprisonment
and torture in Chile, has shown how I can pray through newspaper
headlines or through the television news, as I watch it reflectively,
making the appropriate response to God in these situations – anxiety,
concern, gratitude, intercession.

Indeed we encounter in the daily news various stories of people who have been touched by God whether these people are aware of it or not. Reading or hearing these stories somehow make us also experience the same divine presence.

We come face to face with the reality of suffering, violence, poverty, injustice, which the news report to us daily whether in the papers, radio or television. How do we react to such news? Indifference? Indignation? Anger? Does our reaction lead us to prayer? As James McDonnell (Christian Discernment in a Mass Mediated Culture) observes: “Our media experience (should) enrich and feed into our life and prayer.”

We, in a way, are also makers of news as well as hearers. Our news may not reach the headlines as celebrities (or notorious people do) but it can touch people around us and (maybe without us knowing it) brings changes in people’s lives.

Let me end this reflection with an excerpt of media prayer I read somewhere.

“Lord, I believe that you will guide me in my appreciation of the media.
Where I see goodness, show me how to acclaim it.
Where goodness is lacking,
Show me how to ask questions of those in charge.
I remember that I am ‘society’,
I help shape the media and I am accountable.
All goodness comes from you, Lord,
But the choice for good is mine.”

No comments: