Wednesday, September 9, 1998

Listen to the Beat

Music is a language of the soul. It communicates to us varied topics such as love, romance, history, care for the environment and many other things besides.

I have always been partial to classical music. This kind of music soothes me and lifts me up especially when I feel stressed out at times.

Nowadays, the kinds of music that fill the airwaves are fast and gyrating. Young people are also quick to go with the tempo. They dance, they swing, they stomp their feet to the beat of music. Call me biased if you must but I simply do not know if you can classify as one the rock music that we are being fed with through television and the airwaves. MTV’s are dime a dozen. They are all over cable television. And I am not only talking of Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Rock music is oftentimes the target of criticisms by media critics because of the negative values it communicates to young people. This kind of music speaks of lust and sex in view of love. It glorifies violence as a way of life. It regards women as sex objects.

It is easy to go with the tempo of the music and to sing the song without understanding what it means. And it is what is happening sometimes, especially with kids. They can easily memorize songs such as Barbie girl and sing it with all their heart with realizing what it means.

No comments: